How To Apply
Take These Steps to Owning a Home of Your Own
- IMPORTANT: Review the Homeownership Program details.
- IMPORTANT: Review the qualification criteria.
- After you have reviewed the links in steps 1 and 2: Complete the Homeowner Pre-Qualification Form.
- Your form will be reviewed and scored. If your score is high enough, you will be invited to a Homeowner Orientation, where you will be given an Application for Homeownership.
- Complete your Application for Homeownership, gathering the appropriate documents.
- Once you submit your completed application, our Homeowner Services Committee will review your information. We will verify employment and other sources of income, have a credit/background check done, and ask you for credit references. Your long-term debt, including your expected Habitat housing cost, must be below a certain threshold. (The review process may take one to two months.)
- The committee will conduct an interview and a home visit.
- You will be contacted to let you know whether or not you have been approved.
- You will be asked to sign a Covenant, or Letter of Acceptance, which states the specifics of the program and your roles and responsibilities.
- Sweat equity begins. A single parent is responsible for completing a minimum of 250 volunteer hours with Habitat Pinellas, called sweat equity. Couples are responsible for completing a minimum of 350 sweat equity hours. Homeowner candidates work in the office and on other families' homes, before starting their own home.
- You must complete 14 homeownership classes.
- Homeowner candidates must contribute $500 toward closing costs. This is accomplished with monthly payments of $40. You will also be required to have homeowners' insurance paid in full at the time of closing (a cost of approximately $1,000 - $1,500.)
Orientations are held every month at the Habitat office in Clearwater. (Directions) Reservations are required. You must submit a Homeowner Pre-Qualification Form and attend a Homeowner Orientation to receive an Application for Homeownership.
Please Note: If you make a reservation to attend an orientation and cannot attend for any reason, you must call in advance to cancel. Individuals who no-show or fail to cancel two (2) reservations (consecutive or not) will not be eligible to attend an orientation or to receive an application for 12 months.
2016- 2017 Homeowner Orientation Schedule:
Wednesday, March 16th at 6pm
Saturday, April 16th at 9:30am
Wednesday, May 11th at 6pm
Saturday, June 18th at 9:30am
Wednesday, July 20th at 6pm
Saturday, August 20th at 9:30am
Wednesday, September 21st at 6pm
Saturday, October 22nd at 9:30am
Wednesday, November 16th at 6pm
Saturday, December 17th at 9:30am
Wednesday, January 18th at 6pm