Habitat gives away free homes to the poor.
Habitat sells homes at zero percent interest to those who qualify.
conscience in action
Habitat for Humanity of Pinellas County, as a locally run affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International is a part of a global nonprofit housing organization operated on Christian principles* that seeks to put God's love into action by building homes, communities and hope.
Partnering with our community, Habitat for Humanity of Pinellas County brings community volunteers, corporate donors, civic organizations and faith groups together to build affordable homes for struggling, low-income families and individuals throughout Pinellas County. To learn more about Habitat for Humanity of Pinellas County, attend one of our Nuts and Bolts Orientation sessions.
Decent, Affordable Housing Is a Matter of Conscience and Action.
Supporters join Habitat for Humanity of Pinellas County to improve the housing issues in our community by donating time or money.
A Stable, Affordable Home Provides
- Stability for children and families
- Dignity for parents
- Improved health, physical safety and security
- Increased educational and job prospects
- Engaged homeowners invested in their communities
National Housing Statistics
- There is not a single county in the country where a full-time minimum wage worker can afford even a one-bedroom apartment at what HUD determines to be the Fair Market Rent (NLIHC: 2006).
- Almost 16 million Americans pay 50 percent or more of their income for housing
- One in three American households spend more than 30 percent of income on housing, and one in seven spends more than 50 percent (JCHS: 2006)
- About 95 million people, one third of the nation, have housing problems including a high-cost burden, overcrowding, poor-quality shelter and homelessness (NLIHC: 2004)
Source: Habitat for Humanity International
OUR MOTIVATION / Putting God's love into action
Motivated by the belief that each of us is called to “act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with our God,” Habitat for Humanity seeks to be a partner and catalyst in building communities where everyone has the opportunity to thrive.
OUR METHOD / Bringing people together
Habitat for Humanity believes that no one lives in dignity until everyone can live in dignity. Habitat practices a philosophy of “a hand up, not a handout,” and builds on existing community assets: financial, physical, natural, human, social and spiritual.
OUR IMPACT / Homes, communities and hope
In seeking transformed communities, Habitat believes in bringing people together by improving housing as an essential process for building hope. When people work as a team, they have the opportunity to become stronger and bring positive, lasting change.